Thursday, April 23, 2009

Shirley's 4 & 5

On Friday, Feburary 5th of Anne Frank, Anne Frank states that Peter has “the misfortune of adoring foreign words without knowing what they mean.” Peter ran to the bathroom, which he could not flush at the time, and tacked a sign to the door that read “RSVP-gas!” which was supposed to stand for “Danger-gas!” He didn’t have any idea it stood for “Reply-gas!”

This reminds me of my cousins in China. When I go back to China, sometimes I call my friends back in America and talk to them. My cousins would sometimes wander close to me and catch on to some words I say. After they catch on to a word that they liked, they would parade around the house and the streets later on pointing at everything and saying the word! I remember, one word that was used was “bunny”.


“(pg. 12) I finished my poem and it was beautiful! It was about a mother duck and a father swan with three baby ducklings who were bitten to death by the father because they quacked too much. Luckily, Keesing took the joke the right way. He read the poem to the class, adding his own comments, and to several other classes as well. Since then I’ve been allowed to talk and haven’t been assigned any extra homework.”
That passage was one of my favorite passages out of the book, because it gave the reader a taste of Anne’s personality and creativity. Anne was a talkative student, and one day the math teacher became incredibly irritated by Anne’s constant talking and made her write a composition about “a chatterbox.” Unconcerned, Anne proved to her teacher that her words could flow just as fluently on paper as they did when she spoke. Her first paper was one of my favorite passages as well. She wrote that talking is a feminine characteristic, and although she might work to keep it under control, she did not think she could be cured. She stated her mother talked as much as she did, and so being a chatterbox was undoubtedly an inherited characteristic. Then, the teacher punished her with another essay after she began talking in class again: “Incurable chatterbox”. And the passage I pulled out from the book was from her third punishment for talking: ‘“Quack, Quack, Quack,” Said Mistress Chatterback.’” Anne’s imaginative mind pulled her out of her possible humiliation! Her essay ideas were all enjoyable to read, thus I chose one of them as my favorite passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment