Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Matt's Connection #4

Another way I can relate The Diary of a Young Girl to another famous piece of literature is the book, The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Now, this being said, I am not saying that her style is similar to that of Mitch Albom's (author), but to say that her last entry in her diary reminds me of a famous quote in the book. The quote goes as follows, "How do people know what to say before they die? Is it the gravity of their imminent death that allows them to perfectly pick their last words?" I find this to be quite fitting for her last entry due to the fact that she gives a recap of her previous entries that outline her insecurities. However, this, of course is not her last words even though the date is remarkably close to the day the Secret Annex was discovered, but, in my opinion, it seemed as if fate made her write sort of a last will and testament. In closing, Anne's last entry almost seemed like a way of saying goodbye, similar to Mr. Albom's famous quote.

3 comments:

  1. yes i have always wondered that too, how people on their deathbeds have a quote or phrase that is remembered throughout history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost feels as if Anne knew the end was coming for her soon when she wrote that last diary entry. It summed up her thoughts and feelings quite nicely and seemed like the right spot for the diary's conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read The People You Meet in Heaven and intend on not doing so, because I think Mitch Albom may actually have a very similar writing style to Anne Frank. I'm not saying The Diary of a Young Girl was bad, but a little less amusing towards the end of her diary. Like you had mentioned Matt, Albom wrote that quote which sounded like a very intersting summary line. Ironically, Anne refers to everything that has happened in her past. She recaps important moments in her life and then restates them showing that it was truely significat. I just don't like hearing the same thing twice once I have read it for the first time and understood her thoughts. Albom's quote reminds me of Anne's writing style a little too much, but if you could introduce me to the author more. Maybe I'd appreciate his writing.
    -Alex Pollack

    ReplyDelete