Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kathy

When I was about eight or nine years old, my dad contracted pneumonia. All I remember was that he drank a lot of orange juice and was sickf or a couple of weeks. Luckily, he didn't have the same attitude as Mr. Vokuijl. Mr. Vokuijl thought that since he was going to die anyway, he shouldn't care about his health or his sickness. That mentality put his family back emotionally and wealth-wise. Because Mr.Vokuijl couldn't work, that meant less income fore the Vokuijl family,thus, less food or luxuries. If my dad had done the same thing, i don't think we'd be living in our house of nine years right now. Eventhough my dad didn't work for those couple of weeks, my mom still supported us until my dad got back on his feet. It was very unfortunate that Mrs. Vokuijl couldn't do the same thing as my mother.

On page 158, Anne writes:
"I stuck my tongue out at them, right there on the street. A littleold lady happened to be passing by, and she looked terribly shocked."

Normally, if something like that happened on our society today, people wouldn't even turn heads. They would just go on about their normal routine of the day. This type of thing shows how different we are from Anne culturally. People in East Cobb honestly couldn't care less if they were walking on the street and a child disrespected his or her parents. People here are so spoiled, that many of these parents allowt heir children to do such a thing in public, none the less. To me, I thought it was a little weird that the old lady would look and feel that way because I'm just not used to that kind of behavior. My parents are fairly strict, but I suppose if I did that, my parentswould take it as a joke. But obviously, Anne wasn't intending her gesture as a joke.

2 comments:

  1. Good connections Kajoh! I really like the second one because I know how badly children today act towards grown-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, today if a child stuck out a tongue no one would probably even NOTICE!
    Though, a few weeks ago during spring break, a german family came to stay with us. I spoke with their children and they told me that people in Germany stared at you oddly if you started LAUGHING! Perhaps, in Germany, better behavior is expected of the younger ones?

    ReplyDelete