Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Reid 4 & 5

On Thursday, November 11, 1943 (pg.145) Anne writes "I'm left with one consolation, small though it may be: my fountain pen was cremated, just as I would like to be someday!"

What really strikes me about this sentence is the explanation mark at the end of it. Did she really believe this and truly wanted her body disposed of like this? My guess is that at this point in the war, word had gotten out about the death camps/gas chambers and people knew of their existence. Another striking thing about this sentence is Anne's ability to face the truth of what could happen. For me at least I would not be able to write that down, or even think about it long enough to write it. Anne, who at this point as already has gone through some rough times and was still going through difficult times was able to fully comprehend this delicate situation that she was in. Something that amazes me, and something I will never fully grasp.

page 247 Anne writes "I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death." This was written in 1944, her diary was first published in 1947 by her father Otto Frank. More than a million people have read this book, used not only for the literature, but also for the historical content that line the pages of the diary. But what is more interesting is that Anne has lived on after death, and she has inspired many people in many different ways that I believe she never knew she would have an impact on. After her terrible death in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, her life has been kept in beautiful memory's that lines 332 pages.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Johnson . . . I didnt do this !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Johnson . . . I didnt do this !!
    ~Reid~

    ReplyDelete