Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jessica's Connection #3

Most people have been told, at least once in their life, to eat a food that they loathe. Anne devised a tactic to eat loathesome food by doing the following: "I put the dish in front of me, pretend it's delicious, avoid looking at it as much as possible, and it's gone before I've had time to realize what it is." (pg 124) I use a similar tactic when I have to eat food I don't particularly enjoy eating (namely, avocado). First, I quickly put the food in my mouth and avoid thinking about how undelectable it tastes. Next I chew and swallow it once again without thinking about the food. Then I repeat the process again and again until, before I know it, the food is gone. I'm sure that many other people use this method to eat food that they do not like. Note: It is interesting to really the small details that Anne writes in her diary (like the detail about eating loathsome food). Most of these details seem rather insignificant, but they really add to the "realness" of the whole diary. It would be very difficult for anybody to come up with a fictional Holocaust survivor diary that would match the reality and authenticacy of Anne's diary.

8 comments:

  1. Taylor's #2 Response
    Throughout my 14 years, my family has realized that I am a very picky eater. So picky that I almost never eat vegetables including V8(it taste awful). Now days my mom and dad don't even try to get me to eat my vegetables. So I do not even have a way to eat food that I do not like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liver is the one food I know I can't possibly ever try again. I had breakfast at Goldberg's and didn't seem to be thinking when I asked for a little bit of chopped liver to go with my bagel. When breakfast came to our table, the liver looked like dark tuna fish. I took a spoonful of that stuff and almost couln't bare the horrid taste. I wanted to spit it out, but instead I took a little bit each time without thinking about the taste. I eventually gave up though. This connection gave me this memory. I think that Anne might have had it really bad, because she had no other choice than to eat what her parents gave her every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creamed peas is the worst thing I have ever tasted in my life. I will have to try your method of eating when i eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom is a very healthy eater and likes to share her dishes with us and I have learned my own methods for handeling her more "creative" dishes. {I shove the food into my mouth and wash it down with like 4 glasses of water.}
    However this isn't to say my mom isn't a good cook, she keeps our family in check!
    -Carly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to do the same thing with spinach, but it never works for me. My parents always try to make me eat it, but whenever I do, I feel sick when I'm done. My mom is also a very bad cook (see Carly's comment).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thats exactly what i do with....bitter melon? Well, thats the translation in english but in chinese its ku gua. I'm not exactly sure what its called in english, unless bitter melon is really it. Although i absolutely LOATHE bitter melon (it lives up to its name) its supposedly really good for you so i try to resist the pain of my taste buds as i take each supposedly healthy bite. Like you, i NEVER think about the taste. I just stick it in my mouth and chew and swallow. Sometimes, i eat a lot quickly and take some juice/soda and quickly drink it to take away the taste. Other times, i try to hide the taste under other food....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I normally just don't eat foods that I dislike. My mom heard somewhere that when you cook bittermelon with Sprite(I know, weird right?) it gets rid of the flavor. Of course, my mom tried it. Unfortunately, the taste wasn't fully gone. My mom DID go to the trouble of making it flavorless just for me, so I stuffed it down with rice(LOTS of rice)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents are from Iran and so they have experienced tasting a variety of foods that I haven't. Also, being born in the United States, I never really became accustomed to that food, but time and time again, my mom practically shoves it down my throat. And she just says,"Sommy, it is part of your culture!" (Sommy)

    ReplyDelete