Sunday, March 22, 2009

Alex's Connection #2

Sometimes life can be tough when you are in an argument with a close family member. It's natural but not fun. Imagine having to live with a whole different family while in hiding from the Nazis. The Frank family had no other choice when they arranged to share an annex with the van Daans. Many times Anne didn' t express any sympathy towards Mrs. van Daan. "Mrs. Van Daan's a fine one to talk! She sets an example all right---a bad one! She's known to be exceedingly pushy, egotistical, cunning, calculating and perpetually dissatisfied. Add to that, vanity and coquettishness and there's no question about it: she's a thoroughly despicable person."-----The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank (pg. 116-117) When two families are immensly concerned about there lives at stake, there's no doubt that the pressure and fear will lead to anger and neglection. Even with Mr. Dussel, problems don't seem to straighten out. Living with another family and Mr. Dussel makes Anne Frank's teenage life rougher, but also makes her diary entries more compelling.

7 comments:

  1. Right. If I think about the squabbles I have with my parents or siblings, and then compare that amount to how often I argue with my friends, I notice that I fight less with the ones I DON'T live with.
    And that's with a very minute amount of stress. Plus, I get a break while I'm at school or at a friend's house. The people at The Annex are crammed up in one fairly small space for months without a real break.

    ~Ali Enochs 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's pretty deep, Alex. I'm amazed that you pick up on such minute details. I agree, though, Anne's relationships with the people in the Annex never seem to get better; however, I find this to be monotonistic while you find it to be compelling. Hats off to you my friend, for your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think you're right, Alex. Sometimes i think I have the most annoying brother, but then he seems to be nice. Unfortunately, it's just a facade. But when he is cantankerous, I decide to look past it, but i don't think Ann can do the same with Mrs. Van Dann. (I like Matt's comment. It's very positive.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really good Alex! I can relate to your paragraph from once having to stay with another family for a and becoming extremely annoyed with the woman I was staying with. I began to pick up on tiny details that drove me crazy with things she would often do. Living with another family for that long I can't even begin to imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Often times, my sister gets along with my friends and vice versa. That got me thinking.... If my sister and I weren't siblings and we were in the same grade, would we be friends? I'm pretty sure we would, and we would probably be REALLY good friends (seeing as we get a long a lot of the time, we just get into silly little fights every once in a while) Spending more time with a person lets you know more about them, including their faults and bad points...=(

    ReplyDelete
  6. alexs #2
    This relates to one of my connections too. I dont even want to think about what it would be like to have to spend 24/7 with my family in a cramped space with the constant threat and fear they all felt. My brothers are loud enough as it is in our house- we would be found out in a second. (Graham)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definately agree with you Alex. I know my brother is annoying much of the time, but I also know that he really does love me. This is something Anne realized at the beginning of the book, but throughout the diary she is starting to lose sight of it. Anne needs to be reminded that even though her family may seem like they dislike her at times, they do all still love her. Bickering can be hard, especially when you do not have anyone to talk it out with, and Anne feels this desire to share her feelings, but really has no one to turn to.

    ReplyDelete